My kids loved this but still don't know they were eating squash instead of cheese.
- 1 lb. sea shell noodles, uncooked
- 3-4 cups cubed butternut squash, peeled and de-seeded
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ½ cup vegetable broth
- ¾ cup milk
- 1 and ¼ cup cheese, I used medium cheddar
- Salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Optional: fresh parsley
- Cook macaroni according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Heat the butter in a skillet over medium low heat.
- Meanwhile, peel the butternut squash and remove the seeds. Cut into large chunks.
- Boil the squash until completely tender and then drain. OR if you have a pressure cooker cook on low pressure for 5 minutes with the vegetable broth, using quick release. Then place the squash in the blender with the butter, lots of salt, pepper, broth, paprika, and milk.
- Pulse until smooth.
- Pour the sauce over the cooked noodles and add the cheese. Stir until melted.
- Add more salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with parsley if desired.