Friday, March 18, 2016

Chicken Ole'

This is a delicious casserole that I've made for years at home, but find I can make it with just a few substitutions here in Japan as well.  In recent years, taco seasoning is sold in Japan, so I substituted that for the chili powder.  I substituted tomato paste with water for tomato sauce.  I can't find canned black beans here, but I did find some canned kidney beans.   I couldn't find canned green chilis, but I just added some salsa (from Costco) and that worked great!  It's fast and easy!

Chicken Ole'
2 chicken breasts, cut up in chunks
1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder or garlic granules
1 teaspoon salt

1 large can tomato sauce
1 can green chilis (4 oz)
1 can black beans
1 can corn

Corn Chips or Tortilla Chips
1 cup or so of grated Monterey Jack Cheese
1 can black olives

Mix together the chili powder, garlic powder, and salt.  Sprinkle the mixture over the chicken and, using your hands, mix them together well.  Let sit for a couple of minutes, then fry the chicken in a large, sided skillet in olive oil.  When the chicken is done, add the tomato sauce, green chilis, corn, and black bean.  Heat and let simmer for about 10 minutes.  Serve over crushed corn or tortilla chips.  Top with cheese and olives.  Dinner is ready in about 20 minutes!!

No comments: