Tuesday, November 13, 2018

Aebelskivers


A Hinton family tradition that comes from my Scandinavian ancestry is aebelskivers.  We make them every New Years morning for breakfast.  For their wedding showers, we gave each of our daughters an aebelskiver pan so they could continue the tradition. 
And they have.  In each of our homes on New Years Day, we know that we are all making and eating these delicious little pancake balls.

I know it wasn't the original recipe (duh!) but I have taken to using Bisquick. It's easier.  My daughters make them from scratch.

Aebelskivers
4 eggs, separated
3 cups Bisquick
2 cups water
4 Tablespoons melted butter
Butter for frying
Applesauce
Powdered sugar for garnish
In a medium bowl, beat egg yolks until pale.  Stir in Bisquick, water and 4 Tablespoons melted butter until blended.  I another medium bowl, beat egg whites until stiff, but not dry.  Fold whites into Bisquick mixture.  Generously butter each aebelskiver cup (in recent years I have used cooking spray instead)  Heat.  Fill each cup 3/4 full with batter.  (You can add a little bit of applesauce or even blueberries in each one at this point, or you can just make them plain)  When set around the edge (about 1 1/2 minutes), turn the ball over with a fork (or my mom always used a knitting needle.)  Continue to cook and turn until lightly browned on all sides and done in the middle.  Roll gently in powdered sugar.  Serve with syrup of choice and applesauce, if desired.



2 comments:

Pal & Hatty said...

What a fun tradition! Mom would be proud!

thanida said...

Awesome list and resources! You pretty much have the whole industry covered in this one.Useful lists and resources, they are very useful for me,special for me.Once again, thank you.
น้ำเต้าปูปลา ออนไลน์