Monday, April 30, 2012

The Ultimate Carrot Cake



I have had a favorite carrot cake recipe that is so moist and delicious for many years. I got it from my sister, Joan's church cookbook from back in the 1980's. Recently, I got this Taste of Home Grand Prize Winners Cookbook.


I think you gain weight just looking at this beautiful cookbook because the pictures are so gorgeous. It has a carrot layer cake in it that looks so yummy. I got out my old carrot cake recipe to compare, and found them to be almost identical! EXCEPT . . . and this is a big EXCEPT-this recipe bumps it up a big notch by adding a delicious filling between layers. The filling is absolutely delicious and adds so much to the cake. The filling is kind of like German Chocolate cake frosting without the coconut. The recipe recommends you bake the cake in three 9-inch pans. I only own two, so I just made two layers. It worked perfectly.( The cake will be lighter and rise more if you use three)  If you have been looking for the ultimate, perfect, over the top delicous carrot cake recipe- you've just found it! It looks a little complicated, but don't let that scare you. You just start the filling on the stove, and then just give it a stir every once in a while while you make the cake. I promise, it is worth it. I wish I was a better photographer, so you could see how delicious it is. Do I dare admit that I took 16 pictures of this cake, trying get it just right? The pictures may not be great, but the taste, well, just ask my husband! I guess you'll just have to make it and see for yourself!

Carrot Layer Cake
Filling:
1 cup sugar
2 T. flour
1/4 tsp. salt
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1/2 cup butter
1 cup chopped pecans
1 tsp. vanilla

Cake:
1 1/4 cups vegetable oil
2 cups sugar
2 cups flour
2 tsps. cinnamon
2 tsps. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
4 eggs
2 cups shredded carrots
1 cup raisins (opt.)
1 cup chopped pecans

Frosting:
3/4 cup butter, softened
8 oz. cream cheese
1 tsp. vanilla
3 cups (you may need a little more) powdered sugar

For the filling:
In a large, heavy saucepan, combine the sugar flour and salt with a whisk. Stir in the cream. Cut the butter in chunks and add. On medium heat, cook and stir until the butter is melted and the mixture is boiling. Reduce the heat and simmer for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. After 30 minutes, remove from the heat and add the nuts and vanilla. Stir well. Set aside and cool.

For the cake:
After you get the filling simmering, start on the cake. In your mixer, beat the oil and sugar together. Combine the flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add an egg to the sugar mixture, then add 1/4 of the flour mixture, then add another egg, then another 1/4th of the flour mixture. Add another egg, then another 1/4th, then the last egg, then the rest of the flour. Beat well. Stir in the carrots, nuts, and raisins(if you're using them.)
Pour the batter into two well greased 9 inch round cake pans. Bake at 350 for about 40 minutes or until it passes the toothpick test. Cook in pans on a wire rack about 10 minutes. Then carefully remove the cake from the pans and cool on the rack until completely cool.

For the frosting:
Beat together all the ingredients, adding more powdered sugar if needed to make a nice spreading consistency
Assembly:
Put one cake layer on a cake plate and put all of the filling on top. Put on the other layer and frost the top and sides with the cream cheese frosting.


Note: I have always wanted a cake stand. There's something about a layer cake under a dome that is just so beautiful and inviting. My beautiful daughters and their husbands remembered me saying that some time (I don't even remember saying it to them) and bought me one for my birthday last year. It has had a lot of use since then. Isn't it beautiful?

1 comment:

Joan Morris said...

Yum! Was it the old 9th Ward cookbook that your old recipe was in?