Friday, October 26, 2012

Pumpkin Pie Cake

Recipes for this dessert are all over the place.  I was going to try a new one, but decided, since I only make this every few years, I really want to make my tried and true recipe.  I did make one addition from one of those other recipes.  I think it's a secret ingredient.  I really liked the addition, but we'll get to that in a minute.  I still remember the first time I tasted this dessert at a church dinner.  I thought it was so delicious and begged the recipe.  I still love it, especially served with whipped cream on top.  I think it's the perfect fall dessert!

Pumpkin Pie Cake
1 large can pumpkin
4 eggs
1 can evaporated milk (12 oz.)
1 tsp. ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground cloves
2 tsp. cinnamon
 (or substitute a heaping  1 T. of pumpkin pie spice for the above three ingredients)
pinch of salt
1  1/2 cups sugar

1 pkg. yellow cake mix
1/2 cup melted butter
1 egg

In your mixer, beat together the pumpkin, eggs, milk, sugar, salt and spices.  Beat well.  Pour into a sprayed 13 x 9 pan.
Mix together the cake mix, butter and egg.  Crumble over the pumpkin mixture in the pan.  Bake at 350 for 55-60 minutes.  Easy as pie!!!  Cut into squares and serve with whipped cream or ice cream.

Now for that secret ingredient:  Before baking, sprinkle about 1/2 cup English Toffee bits.  They melt as it bakes and make a delicious, crunchiness to the topping.  If you don't have them, it will still be yummy, but I really liked it!

No comments: