Sunday, March 3, 2019

Instant Pot Spicy Sweet and Sour Chicken

This was my first successful attempt at cooking in the Instant Pot. I had one epic failure first that we won't talk about.  After the failure, I went online to look for Instant Pot recipes that I had all of the ingredients for.  This was the winner!  And it was a winner.  We loved it- and it was so easy.  I love that you can just put the chicken breasts in frozen.  I cooked the rice in my rice cooker and put the broccoli in the steamer in the top of that.  So I put all the food in machines and let em cook while I did other things.  My favorite kind of cooking.

Instant Pot Spicy Sweet and Sour Chicken
 4  boneless, skinless chicken breasts, frozen
1 onion, quartered and sliced
1 cup brown sugar
2/3 cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 T lemon juice
1 tsp oil
1 teaspoon ginger
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/4 - 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, to taste

2 T corn starch
2 T water

Put the chicken into the pot with the onion.  Mix together the brown sugar, apple cider vinegar, soy sauce, lemon juice, oil, pepper, ginger, garlic, and pepper flakes in a small bowl.  Pour the mixture over the chicken.  Put lid on the pot and close pressure release valve.  Press manual and adjust the time for 40 minutes.  Allow pressure to release naturally.  Remove lid and turn off cooker.  Remove chicken.  Combine the cornstarch and water and add to the pot.  Turn pot to saute' and stir until thickened.  Serve sauce over the chicken and rice or noodles.

No comments: