Friday, April 30, 2010

Rhubarb Pie


There just isn't a better two-crust pie than rhubarb. Since spring is the time for rhubarb, I thought this would be a good time to post this recipe. You've heard "easy as pie." This one really is easy, especially with my secret microwave/oven baking method. If you have froszen or store-bought pie crusts, you can have hot, fresh pie in less than half an hour.
Ingredients:
4 cups chopped rhubarb
1 1/2+ cups white sugar (if you add more sugar- which I recommend, be sure to add a little more flour because rhubarb is juicy)
6 T. flour
butter for dotting
2 pastry crusts for 9 inch pie

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
Roll out your crusts. Combine sugar and flour.
Put a crust into a 9 inch pie plate. Sprinkle 1/4 of the flour/sugar mixture in the crust. Heap the rhubarb over that, then sprinkle with remaining flour/sugar mixture. Dot with small pieces of butter.
Cover with top crust and vent. Sprinkle with sugar.
Place the pie in the microwave and cook on high for 8 minutes.
Remove with hot pads and place on a baking sheet.


Put in oven and bake for another 10 minutes or so until brown and bubbly.
This microwave method makes it so the crust doesn't overcook. The oven browns it and caramalizes the sugar both beneath the crust and on top. Man, it's yummy. Serve with vanilla ice cream.



3 comments:

Jessica said...

Mmmmmmm, that look so good. I love rhubarb pie so I'm going to have to try this recipe out.

Michelle said...

Looks good! I've never had rhubarb pie, so maybe I'll try this!

sara cardon said...

I've always been terrified of using rhubarb b/c I heard once that the leaves can be poisonous. You've made this sound so easy and it looks so amazing I think I'm going to give it a whirl!! Thank you!