Thursday, January 6, 2011

Chicken Pot Pie

I LOVE Pillsbury crescent rolls. I really think they have a great taste. I don't think I've ever made them as rolls, which is kind of funny, But, I make several things regularly with them including these. They even make these rolls now without perforations, so you don't have the cuts like in the picture above. I tried a recipe with those this week and it works great. Pillsbury has a website with a lot of recipes you can make with them, as well as coupons. I've been trying a few. This one is VERY quick and easy. I've made a few changes and additions to the original to bump up the flavor.
Chicken Pot Pie
1 16 oz. bag frozen mixed vegetables (honestly, I don't care for frozen mixed veggies. They always taste dry and woody to me. So if you have time to peel some carrots, celery, potatoes, and add a can of green beans and cook them for awhile, that is going to be better. I cut up several carrots, a couple of stocks of celery- including leaves, an onion, and a peeled potato. I then cook them in water to which I've added a heaping teaspoon of BTB {better than bouillon} If you're using frozen veggies, you can do the same thing.  I'd add an onion, though.)
2 cups cubed chicken- I like to buy a rotisserie chicken and take the meat from that.  It tastes so yummy.  I think it's probably more than two cups.  I've also used 2 cans of chicken or I've boiled chicken and cut it up.  Any of it works 
1 can cream of chicken soup OR (and this is what I prefer) 1 can or bottle of chicken gravy 
1 can cream of mushroom soup
Seasoning to taste ( salt and pepper or seasoning salt)
1 can Pillsbury crescent rolls (I've tried bargain brands, and am never happy)
Grated cheese, opt.

In a large bowl, mix chicken, veggies, soups and seasonings. Put in a greased 13x9 pan. Sprinkle on a little cheese, if desired. Unroll dough and put over top.
Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes until top is golden brown.




No comments: