Thursday, June 24, 2010

Chicken Roll ups


This recipe is an old stand-by at the Hinton house. I thought everybody made these happy little sandwiches, but recently I was talking to someone who had never heard of them. So here's the simple and delicious recipe.
2 cans Pillsbury Crescent rolls
2 cups cooked chicken, diced (you can use leftover, canned chicken, or boil or bake some breasts and chop em up)
8 oz. mushrooms, diced (you can use canned mushrooms, too)
3 green onions, chopped
8 oz. cream cheese
1/3 cup butter, melted (I have been skipping the butter, and they are still good)
Breadcrumbs (I like Japanese Panko bread crumbs- that's what's in the picture mixed with wheat germ)
Wheat germ, opt. (I keep a jar of wheat germ in the freezer and put some in with the bread crumbs to bump up the nutrition. I've actually used wheat germ only and they turn out great)
Chicken gravy, canned or bottled

Mix cream cheese with the mushrooms, green onion and chicken. Use your hands- it's so much easier than a spoon.
Spray a large cookie sheet. Open crescent rolls and separate. Put a spoonful of the cheese mixture in each roll and pull the dough around the cheese and seal. Dip rolls in butter and bread crumbs and place on cookie sheet. Bake according to roll directions. Serve with gravy.

1 comment:

Jessica said...

Mmmm, this sounds so good! I think I'm going to try this tomorrow for dinner.