Thursday, February 3, 2011

Mad Hatter Meatballs

My love of cooking started when I was a young girl. I had this cookbook and loved reading the recipes and looking at the pictures and then trying to make the food. I still have this book, though it's in terrible shape- the pages torn and stained. I love to get it out and look through it as it transports me back to my childhood. There is still one recipe I make from this book, or at least the idea was originally from the book.


It's called Mad Hatter Meatballs:


I don't make the meatballs the same as in the book (I've bumped up the taste and nutrition) but I make the sauce just as I did as a child. I've made this recipe for over fifty years, and it's still one of my favorite comfort food dinners. The book suggests serving the meatballs with mashed potatoes and carrots. I ALWAYS serve it with cooked carrots (sliced, put in a microwave bowl with a little water, honey and butter and cooked til soft), but I often serve it over rice rather than potatoes. Both are yummy.
Mad Hatter Meatballs
1 lb. lean ground beef
About 1/2 cup whole wheat bread crumbs (I just put a couple of slices of bread in my food processor)( the original recipe called for two pieces of soft white bread broken into small pieces.  The whole wheat makes a tighter meatball that doesn't fall apart as easy)
1/4 cup evap. milk (regular is fine, too)
1 egg
1 T. Montreal Steak Seasoning (more or less to taste)
Tabasco sauce, few drops
Wheat germ, a sprinkle (opt.)
Ground flax seed, a sprinkle (opt.)
Mix all together and set aside while you make the sauce.
Sauce:
1 green pepper, chopped
1 onion, chopped
1 can chicken with rice soup
1 can tomato soup
1 cup water
In a large skillet, saute' the green pepper and onion in a little olive oil until soft. Add the soups and water. Heat to boiling, reduce heat and simmer for a few minutes, stirring occasionally. Form the meat mixture into ping-pong sized balls. Drop into the simmering sauce. Cook slowly until meat is done and sauce is thickened.  You essentially are poaching the meatballs.  Serve over mashed potatoes or rice with cooked carrots. Can you say comfort?

No comments: