Saturday, July 16, 2011

Buttermilk Syrup


I've been gone for over six weeks, helping Shonna and her family through a difficult pregnancy. One morning, while there, I made this buttermilk syrup. It is so delicious. My son-in-law made buttermilk waffles to go with it. I'll tell you what- this was GOOOOOOD! Those waffles were light and crispy and man, I wish I had some right now. He promised to post the waffle recipe if I posted the syrup recipe, so here you have it:

1 1/2 cups sugar
3/4 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup butter
2 T. corn syrup (dark or light is fine)
1 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. vanilla

In a large (it boils up, so use a big pan) saucepan, stir together all the ingredients EXCEPT the vanilla. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat and add the vanilla.
Obviously, this is delicious on waffles or pancakes, but you could pour it over ice cream or whatever you want. It's really good.
Okay, Blake, now your turn!

No comments: