Monday, February 6, 2012

Dorothy's Tamales and Chilies Rellenos: A Tribute to Grandma Gabe




Yesterday was Grandma's birthday. She would have been 92 years old. I loved Grandma Gabe. She was the kind of person I would love to be. She was kind, loving, supportive, happy, positive, and I always felt like she was one of my biggest fans. When I was with her she made me feel like a million bucks. They wintered in St. George (where I grew up) and we loved getting together with them at least once a week for dinner and a family evening. Grandpa Gabe was a killer chef and we enjoyed the wonderful food he made. But Grandma would do special things with just me as well. I remember having a sleepover at her house, just me and her and Grandpa. Man, did I feel special. We played Uno and I beat her and she went on and on about how smart I was. I "found" some money in her room and she let me walk to the corner gas station and buy some bubble gum all by myself. What a treat. She was always telling me how wonderful I was
at sports and how she wished I would play tennis. She was really good at it as a young woman. I have since learned to love the sport as well. In my teenage years she hired me to clean her house. I'm not sure she really needed the help, but I loved going over there once a week to be with just her and grandpa again. Often I would end up eating lunch with them. Lucky me. To this day, one of my favorite meals was a concoction she came up with and fed me during those lunch time meals. It consisted of a tamale, topped with a sunny side up egg, chopped onion, shredded cheese and tomato sauce. Yummo. She also liked Chilies Rellenos. I remember sitting with her at a Mexican restaurant when she ordered this dish. Not knowing what it was, I looked back down at my menu and was horrified to think that someone would order something that sounded so terrible when there were so many other yummy options to be had. I have since come
to see things Grandma's way and love this dish. Tonight, in honor of Grandma Gabe we are going to have both of these dishes. I can't wait. Mmm. And I can't wait to someday see Grandma again on the other side. I love you Grandma Gabe!


Dorothy's Tamales
1 Pre-made tamale (She loved Lynn Wilson brand, but they don't make them anymore)
1 Sunny side up egg
Chopped onion
Shredded Cheese
1/2 can Tomato Sauce
Tabasco sauce to taste

Cook tamale according to package directions. Meanwhile fry an egg to desired consistency and heat tomato sauce. Then plate tamale and top with egg, onion, cheese and tomato sauce. Enjoy!

Chilies Rellenos Appetizer (Wisconsin Cheese Style)
3/4 lb Monterey Jack cheese, sliced
1/2 pound Cheddar cheese, shredded
2 eggs
1 can chopped green roasted chili peppers (mild)
2 T half-and-half
1 1/2 teaspoons flour

Grease a 9-inch square pan. Beat eggs flour and cream. Layer 1/2 Monterey Jack cheese, 1/2 Cheddar cheese, 1/2 chili peppers, and 1/2 egg mixture; repeat layers. Pour remaining egg mixture over top of layers and bake at 275 degrees for 1 hour. Cut into squares and serve hot. Makes 16 servings.

What other foods did Grandma especially enjoy?

5 comments:

Shonna said...

What a wonderful tribute! I love and miss Grandma too.

Kay Hinton said...

What a great tribute to Grandma and a great idea for a post. She did love chili rellenos. I'll make this and think of her . . . and you!

Pam said...

You brought tears to my eyes when I read this, Kristen. Such sensitive, heartfelt memories. I miss her, too!

Joan Morris said...

Thanks for sharing Kristen! I remember one things she loved and I hated was carrot salad with raisins. I'm still not a fan of that one.

Pal & Hatty said...

What a great post! You ohave some great memories of Mom as we all do!