Sunday, February 5, 2012
Indian Naan bread
I got this recipe from 300 Best Bread Machine recipes cookbook. It is yummy. It goes perfectly with the Indian curry soup or Michelle's Chicken Tikka Marsala post.
3/4 cup water (I heated this up in the microwave for 1 minute to compensate for the cold yogurt.)
1/2 cup plain yogurt
1 egg yolk
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 Tbsp butter
3 3/4 cups bread flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder (I tried 1/4 tsp and it wasn't enough flavor)-this is my addition
1 1/2 tsp yeast
2 tsp melted butter w/ some dried parsley flakes and some garlic salt.
1. Measure ingredients into baking pan in the order recommended by manufacturer. Select Dough Cycle
2. Remove dough to a lightly floured surface; cover w/ a large bowl and let rest for 10 to 15 minutes.
3. Divide the dough into 8 pieces and roll into balls. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes. Gently stretch into a teardrop shape about 1/4 inch thick. Place on a baking sheet, sprinkled w/ cornmeal and let rest for 15 minutes. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
4. Brush the dough w/ melted butter mix.
5. Bake in preheated oven for 8 to 10 minutes or until the naan sounds hollow when tapped on the bottom.