Monday, June 25, 2012

Cream Cheese Chicken Enchiladas

A recipe I've made all 35 years of our marriage is Chicken Enchiladas.  When we were first married, and going to school, a couple had us over for dinner and served creamy chicken enchiladas.  I requested the recipe.  She was so certain I would ask for the recipe, that she had previously written the recipe on a card and had it all ready for me.  I thought that was funny.  I've made that recipe regularly for 35 years.  But I think I just discovered one that I like even better.  My complaint with the other one is that it just wasn't saucey enough.  This recipe has a delicious filling and separate sauce over the top of the enchiladas.  Now why didn't I think of that?  Try it;  I think you'll like it.  
I completely forgot to put the beans IN the enchiladas, so I just served them on the side.  I'm sure they would be delicious in.

Cream Cheese Chicken Enchiladas

Filling

3- 4 chicken breasts, cooked and shredded (you can use rotisserie chicken)
1 8 oz. pkg. cream cheese, cubed
1 4 oz. can green chilis, drained
1 can black beans, drained

Sauce

3T. butter
1 onion, diced
3T. flour
1 cup chicken broth
1/4 cup milk
2 14 oz. cans green enchilada sauce
1/2 cup sour cream

2-3 cups grated Mexican mix or Monterey Jack Cheese
10-12 Flour tortillas

Any or all of the following for toppings:
Sour Cream
Cilantro, chopped
Tomatoes, chopped
Black olives, chopped
Avocado, diced

Heat the oven to 375.
In a med. bowl, combine the filling ingredients.  I find it easiest to use my hands to combine.  Set aside.

In a large nonstick skillet, melt the butter over med. heat.  Add the onion and cook until the onion is soft and transluscent.  Sprinkle the flour over the onions.  Cook and stir for about a minute.  Then add the broth and milk.  The mixture will thicken and smooth as you stir it constantly.  Cook for about 4-5 minutes.  Remove from the heat and add the enchilada sauce and the sour cream.  Stir to combine well.

Grease a 9x13 (or larger if you have it) pan.  Spread about 1/2 cup sauce (or a little more) on the bottom of the pan.  Lay the tortillas out and divide the filling evenly between them.  Top with a handful of cheese, then roll up enchilada style.  Place seam side down in the pan.  Pour the sauce over the enchiladas.  Depending on the size of your tortillas and how many you use, you may need to use a 13x9 and a smaller square pan to fit it all.
Top with more cheese and cover tightly with foil.  You can put this in the fridge at this point for up to several days, or put in the oven to bake at 375 for 20-30 minutes until heated through and bubbly and the cheese is melted.  Remove the foil at the end.  As you serve, have people top with any or all of the following: sour cream, cilantro, tomatoes, avocado, black olives.


No comments: