Friday, January 10, 2014

Chicken Divan

I think my favorite meal my mother made was chicken divan . . . .well, that and tacos. Hmmm, her waffles were pretty darned good, too.  Oh, and her spaghetti . . .  Well, anyway, ONE of my favorite meals.   It's old-fashioned comfort food at it's best.  This is my mom's recipe.  It makes me think of her every time I make it.  She loved it and so do I.

 Chicken Divan
1 cup dry rice, cooked (it will make about 3 cups cooked rice)
1 big bunch broccoli
4 chicken breasts, cooked and chopped or shredded
2 cans cream of chicken soup
1onion, chopped
1 1/2 cups sour cream
1/2 cup mayonaise
2 Tablespoons lemon juice
Grated cheese for topping
Cut the broccoli into spears and put in a saucepan.  Salt and add 2 inches or so  of water.  Turn on high.  When it comes to a boil, turn off stove and cover with a lid.  Let it steam while you make the sauce.
Sauce:
In a large bowl, mix together the soups, sour cream, mayonaise and lemon juice.
Spray a 13 x 9 pan well.  Add the rice.  Put about half of the sauce in with the rice and mix well.  Spread over the bottom of the pan.  Then layer the chicken, then the drained broccoli spears, then the remaining sauce.  With a fork, work the sauce down into the layers a bit.  Then top with shredded cheese.  Bake at 350 until hot and bubbly and the cheese is melted- about 30 minutes.





I nearly always serve this with Creamy Jello Salad.  They just seem to go together.

No comments: