Saturday, June 7, 2014

Pork Choppese


I love that you can see the steam rising in this picture.  

Oh, the memories!  My sister Joan and I worked at our Dad's doctor's office in the summers while we were growing up.  My dad's partner was Dr. Hubler and his daughters Carol and Jennifer also worked there.  They became good friends.  They shared this recipe with us.  I don't know if they made it up or found it somewhere, but it is good!  I've made it occasionally ever since.

Pork Choppese
In an ovenproof skillet*, brown 4-7 pork chops in butter, salt and pepper. While the chops are browning, melt 2 Tablespoons butter in a saucepan.  Blend in 1/3 cup of flour.  Stir and cook for several minutes.  Stir in 2/3 cup milk.  Cook, stirring constantly until mixture makes a thick paste.  Add 1 egg and beat well, cooking until mixture is shiny.  Stir in 1 small grated onion, 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, 1 teaspoon salt and a pinch of pepper. Spread some of the cheese mixture on each pork chop.  Bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until the pork chops are done.

I usually double the topping recipe and pour it over all the pork chops (as shown.) Then I serve it with rice and a vegetable.  The topping is so tasty and is delicious mixed in with the rice.

*If you don't have an ovenproof skillet, you can brown the chops in a skillet, then transfer them to a 13x9 pan to put them in the oven.

Original Source:  Carol and Jennifer Hubler

No comments: