Wednesday, August 19, 2020

Zucchini Bread




 My sister-in-law Nan shared this recipe with me many years ago- probably 40+ years ago.  I make it most summers when there is an abundance of zucchini.  I freeze grated zucchini in 2 cup portions in zip lock freezer bags so I can make it during the year.  I was recently looking at recipes on allrecipes.com.  Because it is the season, I suppose, they featured zucchini bread recipes on their home page.  I looked at the recipe with the highest ratings to find that their highest rated zucchini bread was almost exactly the recipe Nan shared with me so long ago.  The only difference is this one calls for 1 cup white and 1 cup brown sugar.  That one called for 2 1/4 cups white sugar only.  Otherwise, exactly the same!  Nice to know I've been using the best recipe all these years.  One change I've made over the years is to substitute all or part of the oil with applesauce.  It reduces the calories, but doesn't make much difference in the taste.  I've found I like to do about 1/2 oil and 1/2 applesauce.  The oil helps it to stay moist longer.

Zucchini Bread

Beat together:

1 cup oil (can substitute all or part with applesauce)

1 cup sugar

3 eggs

1 Tablespoon vanilla

1 cup brown sugar

2 cups grated zucchini

When well mixed, turn off mixer and add:

3 1/2 cups flour

1 teaspoon baking powder

1 teaspoon nutmeg

1 T. cinnamon

1 cup chopped nuts

Mix together and pour into 2 well-greased loaf pans.  Bake at 325 for 1 hour  

No comments: