Monday, December 18, 2023

Congo Bars

 When I was 11-years-old, I went to stay with a friend who had moved from our town.  While I was there, her mother made Congo Bars.  I thought they were the most delicious thing I had ever eaten.  I didn't get the recipe then, but I remembered the name.  I recently happened onto this recipe online.  I couldn't make it fast enough.  Yes, it is the taste I remember!  They are so soft  and chewy and delicious and full of chocolate.  And they are easy to make!  This recipe is a winner!


Congo Bars

1 cup butter at room temperature
2 cups brown sugar, packed
3 large eggs at room temperature
1 Tablespoon vanilla
 1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder 
2 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 cup milk chocolate chips

Preheat to 350  Line a 9x13 with parchment paper.  Spray with nonstick spray.
In your mixer beat together the butter and brown sugar for about 2 minutes.
  Add eggs, vanilla, salt, and baking powder.  Mix well to combine.  Scrape the bowl and mix again.  Add the flour and mix until just combined.
Stir in the chocolate chips.
Put the dough into the prepared pan and smooth with a spatula.  Bake until the edges are set, but the middle may seem underbaked.  About 30 minutes.
Let cool for 5 minutes.  Then remove from pan and let cool.

No comments: