Thursday, August 19, 2010

Lemon Cake with Lemon Buttercream Frosting

This is easy, and oh. so. good. And that's from a chocolate lover!

1 pkg. lemon cake mix
1 pkg. (small) lemon instant pudding
1 cup sour cream
3/4 cup water
3/4 cup oil
4 large eggs

Mix all together on low, then turn up speed and mix for about 2 minutes on med. speed. Pour batter into a sprayed 9 x 13 pan or two round pans. Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes. Don't overbake.

Lemon Buttercream Frosting
(this stuff is to die for)
2 sticks butter, softened
6-8 cups confectioner's sugar
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice (I've substituted lime and it's also delicious!)
Zest from 1 lemon
1 or 2 drops yellow food color (optional)

Mix the SOFT butter with about half of the sugar. Add juice and zest. Beat well. Add more sugar, one cup at a time until desired consistency. Spread on cake. You can garnish the cake with twisted lemon slices or clear decorator sugar.

This is delicious, but for me, it is a bit sour.  I prefer to use a yellow cake mix, making it less sour.  The frosting make a lot- really enough for two 13x9 cakes.
I make this frequently for gatherings and funeral luncheons.   Everyone loves it.  

7 comments:

sara cardon said...

Isn't great when you find a dessert that can hold its own against chocolate?? Carrot cake. Key Lime Pie. Lemon Cake. It works! I have a feeling this will also become a new obsession for me!

Joan Morris said...

Sound delicious!! Let's make some for the tea party :)

Cindy said...

Oh I LOVE lemon! Can't wait to try it!

So, I don't know if you take requests buy do you or any of your lovely daughters have a yummy recipe for spaghetti sauce? I just can't get it right.

Ada said...

I can vouch for its tastiness! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Melanie said...

I love you for posting this, Aunt Kay! Of course, I loved you before that too...

Kristen Mackrory said...

Man, that looks/sounds AMAZING!!!

Pal & Hatty said...

That cake is money!! It was my favorite treat at the Tea Party!