Sunday, September 5, 2010

Molasses Wheat Bread

I've found a new hit in the bread department! Blake and I just love this recipe I found in my sister's ward cookbook. The recipe was submitted by Kaylene Craig, did you know her Lu? So delicious! We make it in our bread maker so I have to put it in a certain order for our machine. So I'll list the ingredients, but put them in your bread machine according to it's directions. If you have a Welbilt "The Bread Machine" like ours you'd put the yeast in first, then all dry ingredients, then wet.

1 1/2 c. warm water
3 T gluten (I used only 2 and it was great)
2 c. whole wheat flour
1 3/4 c. white flour
2 tsp. salt
3 T sugar
3 T dry powdered milk
2 tsp. yeast
3 T melted butter
2 T molasses

Place ingredients in order into bread machine. Set machine on dough or manual setting and start. When bread machine is finished, remove dough, cut in half, and shape into loaves. Place dough in loaf pans; let raise in warmed oven (set at 175 degrees, then turn off when heated) for 35 minutes. Carefully take bread dough out and heat oven to 350. Bake for 20 minutes. Cool 10 minutes in pans, then remove bread to cooling rack. When cooled, store in airtight bag or container.

Tip I learned some time ago: To tell if bread is fully cooked, take one loaf out of the pan w/ hot pads and knock on the bottom of the bread. If it sounds hollow it's done.

No comments: