8 cups of torn whole wheat bread (about half a loaf) -- or torn french bread
6 large eggs
2 cups milk
1/2 cup sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Put the torn bread in a lightly greased 9x13-inch pan.
- Beat the eggs, and mix in the milk, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, and salt. Pour the mixture over the bread. Stir the bread to get it all coated.
- Sprinkle the brown sugar evenly on top of the bread.
- Bake on the middle rack of the oven for 45-50 minutes or until a knife comes out clean when you stick it in the middle. Serve plain or with fresh fruit - it doesn't need extra syrup.
- Waiting for it to cool is hard.