Saturday, February 21, 2015

Ketjap Manis

This is an Indonesian sauce that I could not find at any stores around here--not even in an Asian Food Market. So I googled a recipe to make it on my own. It's an interesting process, kind-of like making candy, but not as difficult. I needed it for my Samoan Chop Suey recipe, which I will post if it ends up tasting good. Here are the ingredients, plus water.
Ingredients:
1 cup dark brown sugar, packed
1 cup water
3/4 cup soy sauce
7 TBSP dark molasses
1 tsp grated fresh ginger
1/2 tsp ground coriander (I used ground cumin instead)
1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper

Directions:
  1. Combine sugar and water in 2 quart saucepan.
  2. Bring to simmer over medium heat, stirring constantly just until sugar dissolves.
  3. Increase heat to high and continue cooking until syrup reaches 200 degrees on a candy thermometer, about 5 minutes.
  4. Reduce heat to low.
  5. Stir in remaining ingredients and simmer 3 minutes. It ends up being a thick, dark syrup.
  6. This will keep 2-3 months tightly covered in the refrigerator.

No comments: