Wednesday, March 25, 2020

Steel Cut Oats with Blueberries


My favorite breakfast is Steel Cut Oats with Blueberries.  They take awhile to cook, but I always cook a large pot and keep it in the fridge until it's gone.  I actually usually double the following recipe if I have storage room in the fridge:

Steel-Cut Oats with Blueberries
4 cups water or milk (I often do 1/2 water and 1/2 milk)
1 cup steel cut oats
Salt (I don't measure, but probably about 1/2 tsp.  To taste)
Brown sugar, nuts, etc. to taste

In a saucepan, boil the water/milk.  Add salt.  Add the oats and bring to a boil.  Stir while doing this.  When boiling, reduce heat to low and simmer uncovered for about 30-45 minutes. Stir occasionally as it cooks. When the consistency you want, add brown sugar, nuts, raisins, etc to taste.   Divide into individual serving and storing bowls. Store any in fridge that you don't eat.  They are just as good heated in the microwave later and store for probably a couple of weeks.



No comments: