Tuesday, January 19, 2021

White Chili

I got this delicious soup recipe from my sister-in-law, Ada, years ago.  I kind of forgot about it.  Kristen was making it one day recently (I put it in my cookbook that I gave to all my daughters) and said she makes it frequently and her family loves it. She now makes it in her instant pot.  That reminded me about the recipe and I got it out and made it.  It is absolutely delicious, especially with the avocado relish on top.  This one is a crowd pleaser!  



White Chili

3 cans great northern beans, drained

3-4 cups chicken broth

3 frozen boneless, skinless chicken breasts

4 cans green chilis

1-2 cloves garlic, minced or crushed

1 medium onion, chopped

1 T olive oil

1 tsp cumin

1 tsp ground oregano

1/4 tsp paprika

Cayenne pepper or pepper flakes, to taste

1-2 lbs. Monterey Jack Cheese (grated)

Salt to taste (you may not need salt)

In a large pot, saute' onions in olive oil until translucent.  Add the garlic and saute' a bit longer.  Add the broth, beans, green chilis and chicken breasts.  Simmer until the chicken is cooked.  Remove the chicken and cube or shred, then add it back into the pot.  Add the spices and cheese.  Cook and stir for a while.  Taste and add salt if needed.  Serve with corn chips and Avocado relish.

Avocado Relish

1 large avocado, peeled and diced

3-4 large Roma tomatoes, diced (or cherry tomatoes, chopped)

Juice of 1/2 lime

Fresh cilantro, chopped.  

1 Jalapeno, seeded and diced fine (opt.)

Mix together.  Garnish soup with the relish.


*I've altered the recipe slightly to our tastes.

3 comments:

Shonna said...

Is that really 1-2 pounds of cheese? Or should it be 1-2 cups?

Shonna said...

That avacado relish looks amazing!!!

Kay Hinton said...

Yes, the recipe said 1-2 lbs.