Saturday, October 23, 2010

Ginger Snaps


That don't . . .snap, that is. These are soft and delicious and I'm sorry. You'll hate me because they are absolutely irresistible. I got the recipe years ago from my sister-in-law, Lorene. They are the perfect fall or Christmas cookie. Enjoy!

3/4 cup shortening (I use butter flavor Crisco sticks)
3/4 cup real butter
2 cups sugar
Cream together well, then add
2 eggs
1/4 cup molasses
Beat well. Sift or stir together and add:
4 cups flour
2 tsp. cloves
2 tsp. cinnamon
2 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. ginger
1/4 tsp. salt
Beat all together. Put in fridge for a 1/2 hour or so. Make dough into balls. Roll the balls in sugar and place on cookie sheet. Bake at 375 for 8-9 minutes. Glaze cookies while they are still warm.
Glaze
Powdered sugar, HOT water and 1/4 tsp salt. Add water a little at a time until it makes a nice glaze consistency. You can dip the cookies in the glaze( put a cooling rack on a cookie sheet to catch glaze drips) or just spread glaze on the tops.

2 comments:

Joan Morris said...

YUM!!! I can't wait to try this recipe. I LOVE Gingersnaps and I've heard you talk about this recipe for years. Yeah, I finally get to try it.

Pal & Hatty said...

We love these cookies!! These are Hal's favorite and our missionaries really loved them also!! Thanks for the recipe!