Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Slow Cooker Chicken Stew



Have you heard of allrecipes.com? It's my go-to site when I need a quick new recipe. I found this one by searching for chicken crockpot recipes b/c I needed something easy and fast for a busy evening. This stew has a fun, autumn flavor and is delicious served over rice or noodles. I've made some changes from the original. You can vary it according to your tastes or what you have on hand. Reviewers added mushrooms, carrots, celery, bay leaf, celery seeds, oregano, garlic powder, hot sauce, cayenne pepper, etc. . . . that is the joy of soup. You can add whatever you want and it turns out delicious!

3 lbs skinless, boneless chicken breast - cut into chunks
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 cup water
1 can condensed cream of chicken soup (10.75 oz) - or use whatever gravy/condensed soup you have on hand
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp Italian style seasoning
1 apple - peeled, cored, and cut into chunks (many reviewers added more - I used one large Gala and it was just right)
2 potatoes, cut into chunks
1 onion, diced
3 carrots, shredded or diced
1 envelope Lipton onion soup (or dry onion gravy mix)
*I added 1 cup of pureed cauliflower b/c I had it on hand and it made it healthier and creamier.

Place chicken in slow cooker. Add water, soup, pepper, salt, seasoning, apple, potatoes, onion and gravy mix. Mix all together.
Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours, or on high for 3 to 4 hours.
Serve over rice or noodles.

2 comments:

Shonna said...

Sounds good. I love soups!

sara cardon said...

I love allrecipes.com too. It's one of my fav sites! This sounds great!