Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Hungarian Beef over Baked Noodles

I've been making Hungarian Beef for years. It's one of my favorite Crock pot recipes. It's easy and delicious. I've always served it over plain noodles. But the last few times I've made it, I've served it over these baked noodles- a recipe I found in my sister Patty's cookbook. They go so well together. The cheesy creaminess of the noodles balances with the tangy sweetness of the beef. It's yummy. I also like that the noodles hold forever, so if you have people coming to eat and are not sure when they're coming, it will be delicious even hours later.

Hungarian Beef
Oil for browning the meat and onion
2# beef round, cubed
Flour
2 onions, sliced
1 clove garlic, minced
3/4 c. ketchup
2 T. worchestersire sauce
3. T. brown sugar
2 tsp. salt (this, of course, is to taste)
2 tsp. sweet paprika (I use Hungarian paprika)
1/2 tsp. dry mustard
Few dashes Tabasco sauce or any hot sauce
1 1/2 cup water
Coat beef with flour (I add some Montreal steak seasoning, too, but it wasn't in the original recipe) and let sit while you saute the onions in oil. When onions are soft and golden add the beef and brown on all sides. Put in crockpot and add all the other ingredients. Cook on low for about 6 hours (or longer or shorter- don't you love crock pots?) Serve over regular noodles or rice or Baked Noodles.

Baked Noodles
1 8 oz. pkg. noodles
1 small carton cottage cheese
1 onion, finely chopped
1 c. sour cream
1-2 tsp. minced garlic
Salt and Pepper to taste
2 tsp. chopped parsley
Parmesan cheese

Cook noodles el dente (do not overcook). Drain and Rinse. Mix in all other ingredients. Put in a greased casserole dish or 9 x9 square pan. Sprinkle with Parmesan chees.e Bake for 30 minutes at 375.

3 comments:

Shonna said...

You made this for us when we were out last Christmas. It is yummy!

Pal & Hatty said...

That looks and sounds so delicious! I will have to try those recipes when I can eat dairy products again!

Pam said...

I'm going to try this one - sounds absolutely delicious!