Thursday, March 10, 2011

Peach Cobbler


This time of year, I always see peach season (we have two trees) just around the corner, so I think about how to use the peaches I canned or froze last year. An easy and delicious way to use canned or frozen peaches is this simple cobbler. I got the recipe years ago from my college roommate (believe me, that was YEARS ago), but I've written so many notes and changes and additions in the margins, that I think I can say that this recipe is truly mine. It is delicious served warm with vanilla ice cream.

Stir together the following:
3/4 cup sugar
2/3 cup flour
1 1/4 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup evaporated milk (if you have some you need to use in the fridge. Otherwise, regular milk works just fine)
1/2 cup butter
1 quart bottle canned peaches (can use store-bought) or 1 quart frozen peaches
Turn the oven to 325 while you gather the ingredients. Cut the butter into 8 or so pieces and put it in a square 9x9 casserole pan. Put it into the pre- heating oven to melt. Pour about 1/2 of the juice off of the bottle or can of peaches, if using canned. Mix together the sugar, flour, bp, milk, vanilla, and cinnamon. Put the peaches in over the melted butter, then spoon the flour mixture over the top. Bake at 325 for about 1 hour and 20 minutes. It comes out gooey- cakey and is really yummy. Again, best served warm with vanilla ice cream.

No comments: