Monday, July 23, 2012

Best Ever Whole Wheat Pancakes

Today we are celebrating Nathan's 5th birthday. He wanted pancakes for breakfast so I went online searching for a Betty Crocker whole wheat pancake recipe that a friend had told me about. I couldn't find hers (it only had 4 or 5 ingredients), so I tried the recipe found here: http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/whole-wheat-buttermilk-pancakes/db6a5c2a-fe7d-49f7-bd7f-af1700c284fe instead. Oh man, were they good. The were crispy on the outside, sweet and delicious in the middle. In fact, they were so good on their own that I skipped the syrup all together. I dipped one bite in the delicious maple goodness and decided that the syrup definitely ruined the pancake...and that isn't like me to say! I usually love pancakes with good homemade maple syrup. I even crave them sometimes. Anyway, this recipe calls for 2 cups buttermilk, which I didn't have on hand, so I substituted 1 cup vanilla yogurt and 1 cup of milk. Delish. They were a little finicky to flip. I had to make sure they were fully cooked and then carefully coax them off the griddle from each side before flipping, but they were worth it. The best part is, with freshly ground whole wheat flour and no syrup they were quite filling (I was surprised with how quickly my kids announced they were full) and a pretty healthy way to start the day. Enjoy!

3 comments:

Pal & Hatty said...

These sound delicious and healthy too!

Shonna said...

Making these right now and boy they smell delicious!!! Can't wait to eat them.

Kay Hinton said...

These really are the best ever- sweet and light and oh, so, good!