Friday, July 6, 2012

Thai Coconut Curry Over Rice

I love the Coconut Curry at a Thai Restaurant in town.  My husband is not a big fan, so my friend Shawna and I make regular visits to Benja Thai's and always order the same thing.  I've been looking for a recipe so I can make it at home.  I've found several online and tried this one.  I've altered it, using ingredients you can buy in a regular supermarket and to try to make it taste like Benja's.  This is what I have come up with.  These are the unusual ingredients you'll need: 


Better Than Bouillon Fish Base
I love Better Than Bouillon because, well because it IS indeed better than bouillon.  My Dad was a great cook  and introduced me to this product.  I regularly use the chicken and beef.  The recipe called for fish sauce, which I couldn't find.  I substituted this and it worked great.

This will be found in the Oriental section of your supermarket: Red Curry Paste.
Here's the recipe.  I've given it for shrimp, but you can substitute chicken or beef.  Just substitute the corresponding better than bouillon flavor.
Thai Coconut Curry Shrimp  
olive oil for frying
1 bunch green onions,  chopped (separate the greens from the whites as you chop)
1 1/2 T. red curry paste (more or less according to taste)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 lb. shrimp (Though the recipe called for fresh, uncooked, peeled and deveined shrimp,  I just bought jumbo frozen, cooked shrimp at Costco- thawed.  It worked great.)  or substitute 1 lb. chicken or beef, chopped)
1 can coconut milk (6 oz. or more)
2 tsp. Better Than Bouillon Fish Base
1/8 -1/4 cup sugar (more or less to taste)
Red Pepper Flakes ( at Benja's they let you choose your "hot" level. Use just a pinch for level 1 and on up.  Again to taste)
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Salt to taste (you may not need any)
In a large skillet, heat the oil on med. high heat.  Add the white part of the onions and the red curry paste.  Saute for about a minute.  Add the garlic and shrimp and cook for another 2-3 minutes (until chicken or beef is cooked if you're substituting).  When meat is cooked, add the coconut milk, sugar, and the fish base and stir well.  Simmer for 2-3 minutes.  Taste and correct the seasonings, adding more salt, sugar, and/or pepper flakes( remember the red pepper flakes get hotter as they marinate) if desired.   Remove from heat and add the green part of the onions and the cilantro.  Serve over rice.  This is low calorie and delicious!



2 comments:

Shawna said...

yay!! can't wait to try this one. Where do you buy "better than boullion" fish base? I've seen Chicken and Beef, but not fish.

Unknown said...

what if you would like to make your own red curry base or yellow curry would you have a recipe for that?
(fellow lover of benjas from st george utah ) :)