Wednesday, December 5, 2012
Cottage Cheese Butter Horn Rolls
1 pint cottage cheese, warmed
2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp soda
1/4 cup sugar
2 TBSP yeast
1/2 cup warm water
4 cups flour (no more than 4)
1. Mix the warm water and yeast in your BOSCH and let sit to proof a few minutes.
2. In blender, combine cottage cheese, eggs, salt, soda, and sugar until smooth.
3. Pour into large mixing bowl (or BOSCH if using that).
4. Add flour and knead gently but thoroughly.
5. Let rise 45 minutes to an hour, and fold down.
6. Divide dough into two portions.
7. Roll one half of the dough 1/4" thick into a 12" circle.
8. Spread with soft butter. Cut into 12 pie shapes pieces.
9. Beginning at the rounded edge, roll up. Place on lightly greased pan, point underneath.
Now to make them into the delicious orange rolls.
Orange Sugar Mix
1 cup sugar
Orange peel from an orange (zest just the orange part, not the white stuff that's bitter tasting)
1 tsp orange extract or 1/4 tsp orange oil
1/4 cup soft butter (I actually had this w/o the butter and they were divine. Not sure I'll ever put the butter in.)
Mix this together and spread on the 12"circle after the first part of step 8, before you cut it into 12 pieces.
This sugar mix is enough for all of the divided dough, so spread half of it on the first 12" round, saving the rest for the other batch.
2 TBSP orange juice
1 tsp grated orange peel (again, no white stuff, just the true orange part)
1 cup powdered sugar
Mix together and drizzle over top of the baked rolls. Enjoy!