Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Sweet Chili

I can count on one hand the foods I don't like.  I pretty much like everything.  But ever since an unfortunate upchuck incident in the cafeteria when I was in the 2nd grade, I have declared chili to be on my "really don't like it" list.  We recently attended a potluck supper where some wonderful lady brought a crockpot of chili.  I politely took a small spoonful.  When I tasted it, I was surprised and delighted.  It was a sweet chili.  So I came home and googled "sweet chili" and found several versions. I combined a couple of them, trying to duplicate the one I tasted and have come up with a really good recipe for Sweet Chili.  

Sweet Chili
1 lb lean ground beef
1 onion, diced
1 green pepper, diced
5 (15 oz.) cans kidney or small red beans, drained
2 (6oz) cans tomato paste
2 (10 3/4 oz) cans Campbell's condensed tomato soup
4 tsp. chili powder
3/4 cup brown sugar
water as needed
In a big soup pot, brown the ground beef with the onion and peppers.  Add the other ingredients and cook on low until hot and bubbly- at least an hour.  Or you can cook the meat and vegetables in a skillet and put all in the crockpot for several hours.  

One of the recipes suggested that her children loved this served over macaroni.  So we tried it with some of the leftovers.  It was good.

1 comment:

Kristen Mackrory said...

No wonder I don't have a chili recipe! I have been wanting one for the last couple of years and have asked a couple of people for their recipe and haven't gotten it. I am excited to try this one!