Slice a baguette or french bread into about 1 " slices. Place the slices on a baking sheet. Paint or spray on some extra virgin olive oil and sprinkle on some garlic salt. Toast the bread under the broiler. Watch it carefully. In a bowl, combine:
2 or 3 tomatoes, chopped
1 sweet onion, diced fine
Fresh basil, several leaves, chopped
Fresh oregano, chopped
Fresh parsley, chopped
1 (more or less to taste) clove garlic, minced or pressed
About 2 T. olive oil
Mix well and put the mixture on the bread. Some like to put it back under the broiler (especially if you add cheese) but you don't have to. We like it fresh. Okay, here's some variation ideas.
1)Put fresh mozzarella on the bread, then add the tomato mixture. Broil until the cheese softens.
2) Sprinkle parmesan cheese over the mixture on the bread and broil another bit until the cheese browns
3. Add ground mustard to the mixture
4)Use dried herbs instead of fresh (Basil, Parsley and Oregano) or Italian seasoning works great.
5) Add a pinch of red pepper flakes to add a bit of heat.
6) Add a splash of Balsamic Vinegar (we love this one!)
7) Use a garlic/ herb soft cheese spread (Boursin). Put that on the hot bread, then spoon the tomato mixture on. This is good, people!