Monday, July 8, 2013

Mama's Meatloaf or Sunday Meat

I make the best meatloaf in the world.  But it's not my meatloaf, it's my Mama's Meatloaf.  Well, really it's not my Mama's Meatloaf.  She learned how to make it when she lived in Detroit (On scholarship at Merrill Palmer) from the black Southern lady that was the cook at their dorm.  She stood by her and watched everything she did and wrote it down.  She then made that recipe all while we were growing up.  I stood by her and watched how she did it, and now you can stand by me and watch how I do it!

My kids called this Sunday meat because I make this on Sundays a lot.  I mix it up before church and put it in my oven on time bake with some potatoes greased and wrapped in foil.  I set it to be done when we get home from church.  Or you can serve it as shown here with potato salad which can be done the day ahead.  Both are yummy. 

Mama's Meatloaf or Sunday Meat
2 lbs. lean ground beef
1 egg
3/4-1 cup crushed saltine crackers (I've tried Ritz, but they aren't as good in this)
1 pkg. dry onion soup mix
Ketchup- a couple of good squirts (you can substitute barbecue sauce)
Very hot water- about 3/4 cup.  I microwave it until almost boiling
Dash of Worcestershire sauce
about 1 tsp. Better than boillion, beef flavor- mixed in the hot water
a good sprinkling of Montreal Steak Seasoning  (my mom used salt and pepper)

Put the meat and egg in a large bowl.  Top with ketchup and Worcestershire Sauce.    Put the cracker crumbs in on the side of the meat.  Put the onion soup mix on top of those.  Pour the hot water on the soup and crackers and let them soak for a bit.  The cracker crumbs will swell up.  That Southern lady said that is what makes it good. I believe her.  They should be swollen and bursting.  Then mix them in with the meat. Your hands are the best tool for this!   Form into a loaf and put into a loaf pan.  Bake at 350 for an hour or so.  Turn out onto a serving dish and slice. Oh, yum!  This makes a soft, moist, flavorful meatloaf.  I like to serve it with chili sauce or pepper jelly.

No comments: