Friday, September 27, 2013

Enchilada Casserole


 This recipe is old as the hills.  I got it from a college roommate. In our apartment my freshman year, we would take turns cooking, and I loved it when Kathy would make this casserole.   I've been making it ever since.  It's an easy and quick family meal.

 Enchilada Casserole 
1 lb. lean hamburger
1 onion, chopped
2 cans tomato sauce
Taco Seasoning, to taste ( I just sprinkle some in- about a packet-sized amount)
1 can corn, drained
1 can olives, drained and chopped
Dash of Tabasco sauce, opt.

Cook the hamburger with the onion.  Drain if necessary.  Add the other ingredients and simmer together for a few minutes while you butter on both sides:

6 corn tortillas

In a sprayed 2 qut. casserole dish, layer:
2 buttered tortillas
meat sauce
grated Mexican blend cheese
2 butter tortillas
meat sauce
grated cheese
2 buttered tortillas
meat sauce
cheese
Bake at 350 until  it's bubbly and hot and the cheese is melted.  20-30 minutes.

*Fun note:  Preparing this post got me thinking about my roommate Kathy and wondering what happened to her.  I looked her up on facebook, and since she looks just the same, I was pretty sure it was her.  I messaged her and, sure enough, it was her.  I noticed that we had 1 mutual friend- my niece, Sharla.  So, I asked Kathy how she knew Sharla.  Sharla is married to her cousin, Ladd.  So, it's a small, small world.  It was so fun to reconnect with her.  I love how food does that.



3 comments:

Pal & Hatty said...

That looks and sounds delicious!

Ada said...

How fun to find that connection! And the food looks delicious! We do variations of that, but I'm always too lazy to chop up and add olives...:)

Kay Hinton said...

Ada, I hate to chop olives, too. So Just drain them, leave them in the can, and use an old knife that I don't care about and put it in the can and just chop them right in the can where they can't escape. Randalin taught me that.