Monday, September 9, 2013

Kalua Pork and Coconut Rice

One of my husband's favorite foods is Kalua Pork from Hawaii.  I got the recipe from a lady who lived in Hawaii for many years.  It's very simple.  You can use the least expensive pork roast, so it's not very expensive, either. It's delicious served with rice.  I recently saw this recipe for coconut rice on The Sister's Cafe website and made it with the Kalua pork.  They were delicious together.  The pork is salty and went so well with the sweetened rice.  But plain rice is delicious, too.

Kalua Pork Roast
4-6 lb. pork roast
1-2 Tablespoons Sea Salt
1-2 Tablespoons Liquid Smoke

With a sharp knife, cut slits into the roast all over.  Put the salt in the slits and rub all over the roast.  Then rub the Liquid smoke all over it and put it in the crock pot( the lady I got the recipe from always put it in a roasting bag and then in the crock pot.  That sure makes clean up easy!)  Cover and cook on very low for many hours, depending on your crock pot.  I like to cook it overnight, and half the next day on Sundays and eat it for Sunday lunch.  I add about 1 cup of water because my crock pot cooks fast.  When very well done, shred the meat.  Be sure you mix the juices back into the meat.

Coconut Rice
1 can coconut milk
1 1/2 cups dry, rinsed rice (I always use short grain)
1 cup water
4 Tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
Put all in the rice cooker and turn on.  You can also cook it on the stove.

No comments: