Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Wendy's Copycat Chili

First let's start with a disclaimer:  I don't think this tastes a lot like Wendy's chili.  I had Wendy's chili a few weeks ago and then I made this and don't think it's exactly the same.  BUT  I think this is better.  I really do.  It is just delicious.  And you need to know that chili is the one food I don't really like.  I had an unfortunate chili incident in the school lunch room in 2nd grade and have hated it since.  So for me to say it's really delicious, you have to know it's really delicious.

Wendy's Copycat Chili
2 pounds lean ground beef (I know that sounds like a lot, but don't cut it.  It's a big part of why this is so good.)
1 quart tomato juice
1 can crushed tomatoes or I think you could use diced (15 oz)
1 can kidney beans, drained
1 can pinto or black beans, drained
1 large onion, chopped
1/2 cup diced celery
1/3 cup diced bell pepper
1/8-1/4 cup chili powder ( I used a little over 1/8 and it was perfect for us)
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 1/2 teaspoon garlic crystals or powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon- 1/4 cup sugar  (I know, it's a big range. The recipe said 1 teaspoon, but I wanted more.  Maybe that's why it didn't taste like Wendy's and maybe that's why I liked it better!)
1/8 teaspoon cayenne or red pepper flakes (more if you want it spicy)

In a large pot (I used enameled cast iron), brown the ground beef with the onion.  Add all of the other ingredients and mix well.  Let simmer for at least an hour- longer if possible.  Stir frequently.  Serve with grated cheese on the top and corn muffins on the side.

1 comment:

Pal & Hatty said...

This sounds like a wonderful recipe - I will try it next itme I make chili! (Someday, I want to hear about your unfortunate lunchroom chili experience.)