Saturday, February 29, 2020

Homemade Bread Mixes

I make our bread, using this delicious recipe:

Relief Society Buttermilk Bread
Put in your bread maker or mixer bowl:
1 Tablespoon yeast
4- 4 1/2  cups flour
2 teaspoons salt
2 Tablespoons butter
1/4 cup honey (spray your cup with cooking spray before measuring and the honey will slide right out)
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups buttermilk, warmed to baby bottle temperature ( you can use 1/4 cup powdered buttermilk and 2 cups warm water)
 Mix on manual.  Let the bread knead for about 5-8 minutes.  Remove from mixer and divide into two large or 4 small well sprayed loaf pans.  The dough will be very sticky.  Cover and let rise.  Bake at 375 for about 15-18 minutes for small loaves and about 20-25 for large loaves.    Butter the tops when you take it out of the oven.  Remove from pans and let cool on wire rack. 

https://hungryhintons.blogspot.com/search?q=Relief+Society+Bread


It is such a good recipe.  It always turns out delicious (unless I overrise it!)  It is very easy to make, but the last several months, I have made it even easier.  I make mixes of all the dry ingredients( including the 1/4 cup dry buttermilk powder)- making six at once.  I put them in gallon zip bags.  You can freeze them or store them on the shelf.
Then, when I want to make bread, I dump the mix in the Bosch mixer, add 2 cups of water, heated in the microwave for 1 minute, 1/4 cup of honey, and 2 Tablespoons of butter.  Mix it for 8 minutes with the bread attachment, divide it into two sprayed loaf pans, and let it rise.  Then bake it.  I can have delicious homemade bread in a jiffy.  I just wanted to share that trick with you.

1 comment:

Pal & Hatty said...

I want to try this recipe! How smart to put together mixes sor futurre use!!