Friday, October 11, 2013

Relief Society Buttermilk Bread

I must really like you because I'm sharing my FAVORITE bread recipe with you.  This is a delicious white bread that slices so nicely for toast or sandwiches.  Why call it Relief Society Bread?  When I was Relief Society president, we went out visiting once a week.  We usually went to about four houses on an evening and this recipe makes four small loaves of bread  OR two big ones. This recipe is perfect for a bread maker machine or I do it in my Bosch. 



Relief Society Buttermilk Bread
Put in your bread maker or mixer bowl:
1 Tablespoon yeast
4- 4 1/2  cups flour ( I like to use a mixture of 3 cups all-purpose flour and 1 1/2 to 2 cups bread flour)
2 teaspoons salt
2 Tablespoons butter
1/4 cup honey (spray your cup with cooking spray before measuring and the honey will slide right out)
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups buttermilk, warmed to baby bottle temperature ( you can use 1/4 cup powdered buttermilk and 2 cups warm water)
 Mix on manual.  Let the bread knead for about 5-8 minutes.  Remove from mixer and divide into two large or 4 small well sprayed loaf pans.  The dough will be very sticky.  Cover and let rise.  Bake at 375 for about 15-18 minutes for small loaves and about 20-25 for large loaves.    Butter the tops when you take it out of the oven.  Remove from pans and let cool on wire rack.




No comments: