Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Chicken Enchiladas

When my husband and I were just married, another newly married couple invited us over for dinner.  They served Chicken Enchiladas that were just delicious.  I asked for the recipe.  She got up and got a pink card that was sitting on the countertop.  "I thought you would ask, so I copied it for you before you came." and then she handed me the card.  Though maybe a bit presumptuous of her, she was right. Though I've changed the recipe slightly over the years, it's still pretty much the same as what Barbara served us that day.  I love, love, love this dish.  Though I've tried the more modern chicken enchilada recipes (and loved them all!), this is my favorite.  For years, I've always served it with Creamy Orange Jello salad and green beans and the combination is comfort food at it's best for me.  This time, I added Pico de Gallo as a side, and now we love it even more.  This would be, I think, in the top ten meals that I cook.  Yes, I think so.
I like to 1 1/2 times the recipe and put the extra third (12 enchiladas) in a freezable, disposable container  for another time or if I want to take a meal to someone.  That way I use up a full package of 24 tortillas.

Chicken Enchiladas
18 small corn tortillas
vegetable oil for frying
4 chicken breasts, cooked (or you can use rotisserie chicken)
2 cans cream of chicken soup
2 cups sour cream
1 can chopped green chilis
1/2 cup salsa
1 onion, finely diced (or you can use dried onion)
Lots of grated cheddar or Mexican blend cheese

In a small skillet, saute the onion until soft and slightly browned.
Chop the chicken breast
In a large bowl, mix together the soup, sour cream, green chilis, salsa, chicken and onion.
Put some oil in the bottom of a medium skillet.  Quickly fry each tortilla and drain on paper towels.
To assemble, spray a 13x9 pan.  Put about 1/3 cup of the filling in each tortilla and sprinkle on some cheese.  Roll sides together and put seam side down in the pan.  Make three rows of 6 to fill the pan. You should use about half of the sauce in the filling and 1/2 to put over the top. Sprinkle some cheese overall, then spread on the remaining sauce.  Sprinkle with more cheese and cover with foil.  Bake until hot and bubbly and cheese is melted in a 375 oven.

If you're making the extra pan, prepare the same, but don't bake.  Cover and freeze.  When ready to use, thaw and bake the same.
Note:  When my children were little and I was too busy to fuss with frying tortillas, I would just mix crushed Doritos or corn tortilla chips right in the filling mix, spoon it into the pan, then cover with cheese and bake.  It tasted ALMOST as good.

Shown here with Pico de Gallo.


No comments: