Monday, March 16, 2015

French bread rolls

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)

1 tablespoon active dry yeast

2 tablespoons white sugar

2 tablespoons vegetable oil

1 teaspoon salt

4 cups bread flour

Directions:
In a large bowl, stir together warm water, yeast, and sugar. Let stand for a couple minutes.
To the yeast mixture add the oil, salt, and 2 cups flour. Stir in the remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time, until the dough has pulled away from the sides of the bowl. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead until smooth and elastic, about 8 minutes (or knead for 5 minutes with your Bosch). Lightly oil a large bowl, place the dough in the bowl, and turn to coat. Cover with a damp cloth, and let rise in a warm place until doubled in volume, about 1 hour. (I heat my oven to 160 degrees then turn it off. Don't let it get warmer than that or it can kill the yeast. Then I put my dough in to let rise. It's way faster and my little trick.)

Deflate the dough, and turn it out onto a lightly floured surface. Divide the dough into 16 equal pieces (I cut it with a pizza cutter), and form into round balls. Place on lightly greased baking sheets at least 2 inches apart. Let rise until doubled in volume, about 40 minutes (or 15ish minutes using my trick). Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Bake for 15-18 minutes in the preheated oven, or until golden brown. OR if you let them rise in the warmed oven with my special trick, just turn on the oven and they'll rise more as it heats. I turned on the oven (which was already at 135) and then turned on the timer for 18 minutes and they looked like this. Enjoy!
I got this recipe from allrecipes.com

No comments: