Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Pantry Pick of the Month:Kirkland Basil Pesto/ Pesto Penne Pasta


This month's "reach" was into my fridge. When at Costco last, I picked up a bottle of Pesto.

 Now what do I do with it?  One of my husband's and my favorite restaurant in our town is The Pasta Factory.  I often order the Creamy Pesto Sauce over my pasta.  I decided to try to make my own with this jar of pesto. Did it taste like theirs?  Not exactly.  But it was so delicious.  AND I had dinner on the table in less than 15 minutes- start to finish, including sauteed spinach and garlic bread.  This is a great, get the meal on the table in a hurry meal.  Just remember when at the grocery store to pick up a box of penne, a jar of pesto, and a box of grape tomatoes.  It just couldn't be easier.

Pesto Penne Pasta
1 box of penne pasta (or pasta of your choice)
12 ounces or so of basil pesto (I used about half of the jar of Costco's)
2-3 Tablespoons Cream
Pasta water as needed
2 cups grape tomatoes, cut in half
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
Dash Red Pepper flakes

Cook the pasta about 10 minutes in rapidly boiling very salty water.  Test the pasta.  It should be el dente. Drain the pasta, reserving about 1 cup of the pasta water.  Put the pasta back in the pot and over low heat.  Add the pesto and cream and mix well.  Add enough of the pasta water to make a nice creamy consistency.  Add the tomatoes, pepper flakes and cheese and mix.  Serve immediately.

For other Pantry Picks of the Month, click here.

No comments: