Thursday, December 4, 2014

Pantry Pick of the Month: Salsa/ Chicken Taco Salad

Each month I play a little game for this blog . . . and for fun!  I reach into my too deep pantry and pull something out.  I then find a new (to me) recipe that uses that item, make that recipe, then share it with you here.  This month my reach yielded this:

By saying this,
I'm putting myself in danger of having my girl card pulled, but I have a confession.  I don't like main dish salads much.  There.  It's out.  Whenever I go out to eat with other females, I try to conform as everyone orders salads, but I never like them very much.  But I've set a goal to make a main dish salad once a month and to try to learn to like them.  So I googled chicken salads with salsa (pantry pick) and chicken (because I wanted chicken in it.)  This recipe came up and I loved it.  Loved it.  It was easy and flavorful and filling and delicious.   I hope you like it, too.

Chicken Taco Salad
Dressing
3/4 cup ranch dressing OR (since I don't have bottled ranch dressing I just mixed up some of my own: 1/2 packet ranch dressing mix, 1/2 cup mayonaise, enough sour cream and milk to thin)
1/4 cup thick and chunky salsa
3 Tablespoons cilantro, chopped

Mix together the dressing ingredients and put in fridge while you make the salad.

Salad
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
taco seasoning mix
1 head leaf lettuce, chopped fine
2 tomatoes, diced
1/2 cup grated Mexi blend cheese or pepper jack or cheddar
1 can corn
2 avocados, diced
green onions, chopped
Handful of cilantro, chopped
Tortilla chips, crushed a bit

Heat a skillet on medium heat with a couple Tablespoons of olive oil.  Encrust the chicken with the taco seasoning mix.  Put the chicken into the hot skillet.  Cook until golden brown on each side- 4 or 5 minutes per side, depending on how thick your chicken breast is.  Set aside.  Dice when cool enough to handle.

Meanwhile, heat a small skillet with 1 Tablespoon of real butter and 1 Tablespoon olive oil.  Drain the can of corn and put the corn in the skillet.  Stir and cook until the corn is slightly browned.

Assemble the salad OR put each ingredient in a bowl and let your family each assemble their own:
Lettuce, chicken, tomatoes, cheese, corn, avocado, green onion, cilantro and crushed chips.  Drizzle the dressing over the top.   


Adapted from The Pioneer Woman

4 comments:

Kristen Mackrory said...

My mouth is watering! This is so on our list for dinners this week.

Kristen Mackrory said...

This went over well here in Wisconsin!! Thank you for sharing. We enjoyed it!

Shonna said...

This is going on our family menu--it looks and sounds delicious! Thanks Mom! I've never heard of or thought to saute canned corn, a new twist to our tacos that we have almost every week. Yum!

Michelle said...

I just printed this. It looks delicious!