Monday, December 29, 2014

Peanut-Marshmallow Bar Cookies

These chewy, delicious bars are a Christmas staple in the Prince home.  I was busy this year with a newborn and two other little ones and . . . well . . . life, so I had to prioritize which sweets were most important.  This one topped the list. In fact, it's the only one I got around to making this year, and we were all totally satisfied with that.  They are pretty easy once you have the ingredients on hand. Many of the ingredients are items that I don't always have in my pantry, so I ended up going to the store a few times to get all of the stuff I needed for these. I would recommend bringing the recipe or making a thorough list (and checking it twice!) before going to the store. I hope you and your family enjoy them as much as we do.  My mouth is watering just thinking about them.
 


Ingredients:
  • 1 yellow cake mix
  • 2/3 cup butter, softened
  • 1 egg
  • 3 cups mini marshmallows
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 3/4 cup light Karo syrup
  • 1 pkg peanut butter chips (Reeses brand in grocery store by chocolate chips)
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 2 cups of salted peanuts (I buy the ones in the bottles - Planters or Western Family - believe me, the raw ones are gross!) 
  • 2 cups rice krispies
Bottom Layer
Mix together the cake mix, 2/3 cup butter, and egg. I use my electric beaters - it is thick.  Press into a 9x13 pan.  Bake in 350 degree oven for 13 minutes, then cover with mini marshmallows.  Then bake about 2-3 minutes more (until marshmallows puff up). Let cool.

Topping
Mix together butter, sugar, Karo syrup, peanut butter chips, and vanilla on low-medium heat until melted. Do not cook longer!  Stir in peanuts and rice krispies.

Pour over cooled crust and let cool - cut into squares and serve.

*Original recipe from Cynthia Prince, my amazing Mother-in-law. 

3 comments:

Kay Hinton said...

Ha! I am eating one of these that you made as I read this!!! They are so yummy!

Kristen Mackrory said...

This recipe is haunting me, telling me I need to make it. I need to make it! I guess I need to come up with a good reason to make a yummy treat. :)

Kristen Mackrory said...

I just checked. I happen to have all of the ingredients on hand. That must be a good enough reason. :)