Friday, January 16, 2015

Adobo Tomatillo Salsa

If you like Chipotle peppers in Adobo sauce, then this is the right salsa for you. I love Chicken Tinga Tostadas (from this blog) and it's because of that unique adobo sauce taste. So when I was looking for good salsa recipes, I was excited to find this one.

Ingredients:
2 tomatillos--husked, washed, and thickly sliced
2 cloves garlic--diced or 1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/2 chipotle pepper in Adobo sauce (I bought one jar and used what I needed for the recipe, then put the rest in a freezer bag to keep in the freezer. As I need them I just break off how much I need from the frozen ones and keep the rest in the freezer. You don't need much since they're spicy, but it works great.)
1/8 tsp salt

Directions:
Heat a non-stick pan on medium high heat. Place the tomatillos and garlic (if you're using the cloves) in the  pan and cook on one side until browned. Then flip over the slices to brown the other side or until the tomatillos are soft. Add the garlic powder now if you've chosen that route. Put the tomatillos and garlic in a small food processor or blender with the chipotle pepper (feel free to add more than just a half one if you like it spicy). Blend with 2 TBSP water. Let it cool, then add some salt to taste. I added about 1/4 tsp and it was pretty salty, so I'll definitely use 1/8th of a teaspoon next time. Serve with tortilla chips and enjoy. 
Serves: 2

No comments: