Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Caramel Brownies

With the New Year and my goals to lose baby weight, I really should stop indulging in these kinds of recipes, but they are ooooooohhhh SO good.  I'll start those resolutions right after I'm done with one of these chewy, decadent babies.
As you can see, someone-in-our-household-who-will-remained-unnamed could not resist and wait until they were served. :)

  • 1 German chocolate cake mix (I used a plain chocolate mix and it worked great too)
  • 3/4 cup butter, melted
  • 1/3 cup evaporated milk
  • 1 12 oz package semi-sweet chocolate chips
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Combine butter, milk, and cake mix (I recommend using an electric mixer; it will be thick and sticky).  Press 2/3 of the batter into greased 9x13 pan.  Bake at 350 degrees for 6 minutes.  Cool. 
  • 1 bag caramels
  • 1/3 cup evaporated milk
Melt caramels and milk on low heat, stirring continuously.  Drizzle caramel over the bottom layer (be sure to get the edges!).  Sprinkle chocolate chips over caramel.

Roll remaining dough into balls and then smash them flat and place them over the chocolate chips.  (Don't stress about this step  . . . it doesn't have to be perfect!)  Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes. 

As a possible option, you can mix the chocolate chips in with your cake batter instead of putting them on after the caramel.  That is what is pictured.  They turned out a bit more crumbly, but I liked the texture better with the chocolate chip chunks mixed in, so I think I will do it that way again.

Especially yummy served with a big dollop of vanilla ice cream or a cold glass of milk.

1 comment: